How I Travel Whilst Working Full-Time: Travel Blogger Insight

A frequent misconception about someone who travels full-time is that they are ALWAYS either filthy rich or have quit their job to backpack. For me, and many others, the above statements don’t ring true at all. I’ve always either been studying or working during my travels, so I’m here to show you how you can travel frequently whilst being employed full-time. It really is possible. You know, I quite like travelling whilst working full-time in a different field because it allows me to maximise every day to its fullest. That’s what the ‘secret’ is, making the most of every second. With the short answer out the way, if you want exact tips on how you can travel often with a limited schedule then keep reading…

Stick To 24-hour Trips

If you’re spontaneous then you’ll love the idea of 24-hour trips abroad. This is actually my preferred method of travel for locations within close proximity to me. No accommodation needed as you’ll be back home the same day and no stress to pack multiple outfits. I usually tend to take the earliest flight available to give me enough time to explore then catch the latest return flight. The fact time is limited on 24-hour trips does mean it’s good to have some plan of what you want to see or do, but most of the time I just check-out central areas for shopping, food and tourism so the only thing I really plan is the transportation.

Can’t Travel Abroad? Go Local

Travel doesn’t always have to be abroad! I’m sure there are so many hidden gems where you all live. Local travel just makes sense when you get a day off but don’t know what to do with it. I guess you could call it being a tourist in your own city. I’ve been taking little day trips to different cities across the UK and my only regret has been not doing it sooner! Along the way, I’ve discovered picturesque beaches, stunning mountain views and plenty of dainty historical towns which I didn’t even know existed.

No Time To Travel? Weekend It!

Perhaps an obvious point but one that is often forgotten about. There is no denying flights tend to be more expensive on weekends, but it can be one way to combat the travel bug! If you know that weekends are the only time you get off from work, research flights in advance to ensure you grab a ticket for a reasonable price. Thinking of taking a little staycation and rely on public transport? Try searching up coaches which depart after work on Friday. If the journey time is long, you’ll arrive on Saturday morning with the entire weekend free to see the sights. I do this a lot when travelling up to Scotland, which from my home is about 9 hours on the coach.

Book Annual Leave Close To A Bank Holiday Or Extended weekend

This is really a game-changer of a tip. If you plan correctly, you could get more than double days off by using up half of that allowance from annual leave. This is done by selecting weeks with multiple public holidays which run into a weekend. For example, for 2022, in April, there are two Bank Holidays besides a weekend, so if you take four days off, which naturally then fall into a new weekend, you’ll get 10 days off. For someone who works full-time, these types of realizations are always welcome. If you are a full-time student, utilise your reading weeks to travel. Just don’t tell your professor I said that….

Run Your Errands Abroad

If your weekend schedule is looking full, think about which tasks can be done abroad. Hear me out with an example! If you need to shop for a specific outfit, would international stores solve the problem? Of course, it depends on the nature of the errand but most people in the above example won’t shop from morning to evening without breaks, so the errand would turn into a vacation.

Book Evening Flights When You Go On Holiday

A lot of people book an entire day off for an evening flight that they have scheduled after work, but this can be counterproductive down the line as you’ll run out of annual leave days quicker. If you keep everything packed and ready in advance, you’re good to go the moment you sign-out from work.

Finally…

Instead of spending half of the day getting to the capital, explore the less well-known cities closer to your accommodation so you can end up seeing more in the same amount of time. Need convincing? You’ll probably discover locations even Google won’t pick up.

This post was inspired by a previous comment from a friend who mentioned she was mind-blown how I can travel with limited free-time, as I work full-time. I think that once I made travel one of my priorities, I was able to make sacrifices for it. If anyone is wondering, ‘but isn’t that expensive?’, I’ll tell you within seconds how so many of my trips cost less than a night-out in my home city. Genuinely! I’ll leave the link to my article on budget travel here if you want to give it a read: How To Travel The World On A Budget

Until then, see you in the next post!

27 Comments Add yours

1. Wise words indeed!!

1. Glad you agree! Thank you so much ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. You are most welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Sheree says:

Good advice but even better is traveling on business with someone else picking up the tab.

Liked by 2 people

1. Haha yes that sounds incredible! ๐Ÿ™Œ

Liked by 1 person

3. Great tips!!! I’ve found that if you really really want to do something or go somewhere, there’s always a way to find the time and make it work ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you and yup! So true! This is such a good point, there is always time for things if we really want to do something ๐Ÿ™Œ

4. Sustain blog says:

Good tips. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Sustain blog says:

You are welcome!

5. Rebecca says:

I think your points work well for domestic trips, or if you live in Europe where countries are only a few hours away by transport…I live in the US, and there’s no way I could take a day or two off without dipping into my hours at work, as the country is MASSIVE. But I’ve done day trips within my state, and that’s been fun! Even with a full-time job, I believe that it’s still possible to go out and explore new places, even within your hometown or state. Makes returning to work the following week a lot more meaningful and rejuvenated!

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes my apologies I should have clarified that for the US or larger countries, it would be much harder to go abroad than for someone in the U.K! ๐Ÿ˜… oops! But Iโ€™m glad you agree that itโ€™s possible to travel in some form whilst working ๐Ÿ™Œ

1. Rebecca says:

No worries! I used to live in Europe, so I knew exactly what you were writing about. Since returning to the US, I’ve had to change how I travel (especially during the pandemic), and I think the mindset here is a day trip to a different city within California or, at the very most, an extended weekend across the country (e.g. California to New York). We do our best!

Liked by 1 person

2. Ohh that sounds so exciting! Where in Europe did you used to live?

6. Vansh Tiwari says:

Yeah! Leaving out to explore just before the weekend starts is the perfect way to utilize it. That’s been the story of my life until now, haha! Even if you take a leave from the office, that will add into an extended weekend. Work from Home days have become more significant in terms of traveling.

1. So true- Itโ€™s such a good tip to keep in mind ๐Ÿ™Œ

7. Talkthirtea says:

Love this! Where this a will, thereโ€™s a way! Inspiring me to travel when it is safe to do so and working as I go! Great read ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Im so glad you enjoyed the post! ๐Ÿ˜‡ Thanks for giving it a read!

Liked by 1 person

8. Some points in this post resonates me. I’m on a mission to explore hidden gems near me. I actually love 24 hours travel plan, it’s comfortable and cost effective. I get time to document as well. Your travel tips will help those who want to start travel blogging without quitting their job.

1. Thank you so much! Iโ€™m really happy that you enjoyed the post ๐Ÿ˜Š

9. I have always liked the idea of traveling local. There are so many things to do and see just around the corner in ones own city.

Liked by 1 person

1. Very true! There is always something to discover!

10. Kyle Cash says:

Great post.

Youโ€™re spot on, most people donโ€™t realize how cheap travel can actually be if you choose the right places. Even in the โ€œpopularโ€ cities, you can still do it on a budget or on the cheap side.

Do you work remotely or in an office? I travel year-round and work online. Iโ€™ve found that spending a month or two in each place I visit seems like a decent amount of time.

Any experience with this?

1. First of all, thank you! Iโ€™m glad you enjoyed the post

So true, I even feel like travelling often can sometimes be cheaper than pre-travel life, depending on where someone is located.

Ohhh that sounds amazing! What an incredible lifestyle. Iโ€™m working from home currently but will be moving back into office in a few months

1. Kyle Cash says:

100% know what you mean with life being cheaper than pre-travel life. Exactly the case with me.

Keep up the good work though! And good luck on any future trips.