Today I wanted to add a little sprinkling of humor into the day, and what better way to do this than writing about something I know so well.
Disclaimer: These are generalizations and not to offend any fellow Brits out there!
So lets get started,
- Depends on where you are, but if you find yourself in London at the metro barrier without your pass or ticket in your hand you might as well walk home. You see, Londoners will be huffing and puffing from even the slightest of hold ups so searching for your ticket at the barrier is not going to go down well! One time I had my ticket in my bag and it only took about 5 seconds to take it out but that was 4 SECONDS TOO LONG. Oh man.
- The notorious Jaffa Cake debate. Is it a cake? Is it a biscuit? If you think the latter then you might want to keep that to yourself as the name says it all. People will look at you very worryingly if you even try to raise the possibly that it is a biscuit. Stay safe out there haha
- Our text messages look naked without an X at the end. Why does a little kiss at the end of the text message mellow the tone so much? If you message someone “come here now” it sounds so fierce right? but “come here now xx” sounds so much less threatening?
- Sundays is roast dinner days just because. If you go to a pub to take something other than a roast dinner are you ok? I am not too sure why this seems to be a permanent tradition but you must try it if you haven’t.
- Brits at airports are something else. Only could a British person be drinking beer at 3 am whilst another is eating a huge cheeseburger and fries. Let’s give an honorable mention to the individuals who have BOTH. No judgement here!
- Socks and sandals might seem weird to you, but for a Brit a pair a pair of sliders and socks is THE outfit when you need to pop out to put petrol in your car or to run a quick errand. This is completely normal and rest assured if we get stares we will not blink an eyelid.
- We have carpets in our bathrooms and we have washing machines in the kitchen. No, we don’t know why and nope this will probably never change.
- The ability to know exactly where someone is from by the accent they have. You could say 4 words and a Brit will have your location and the name of your street sussed out within seconds. Useful skill? nope. Impressive? hell yes.
- The word “Pancake” is used to talk about a crepe. So if we are eating crepes with lemon juice on pancake day then mind your business haha
- You could be so angry at something, livid in fact, but if someone asks you if something is alright you will say “Yes, all fine cheers mate” as if you are the happiest person in the world. Why do we do this arghhhhh.
I hope everyone is staying safe and I will see you in the next post!