Welcome back guys,
I don’t know about you but all I have been doing is snacking and watching YouTube videos recently. Anyone else?
I stumbled across a random video that reminded me of this recipe which I have been making for a few years now. It is not as complicated as it looks trust me, probably because I cheated with the pastry haha.
As always I will add a regular version and a GF/Vegan one so lets gooooo…..
Ingredients for regular version:
One roll of puff pastry/ 350 grams of spinach/ 200 grams of feta or cream cheese/ 100 grams of melted butter/ handful of chili flakes/ pinch of salt and pepper plus any other seasonings you wish to add
Ingredients for Vegan and GF version:
One roll of Jus-Rol GF puff pastry which is also vegan / 350 grams of spinach / 200 grams of vegan cream cheese or vegan feta/ 100 grams of vegan butter or olive oil spread/ handful of chili flakes/ pinch of salt and pepper plus any other seasonings you wish to add
LOOK AT IT, what a beauty:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Put down some baking paper in a square tin or if you don’t have any paper then simply grease the tin. I wouldn’t suggest skipping this step because I thought I could get away with just using a non-stick tray but everything got stuck lol.
- Wash and wilt the spinach in a pan. It only takes about a minute so be careful not to burn it. Once all your spinach has wilted place it into a drainer and press out the moisture as spinach holds a lot of water. Transfer spinach into a bowl.
- Crumble the feta/ cream cheese/ vegan option in with the spinach and give it a stir. Here add a pinch of salt and pepper plus ANY SEASONINGS YOU WANT. I added a little paprika and also some oregano. Be generous with the seasoning!
- Take your puff pastry and roll out as far as you can without it splitting. Cut into 2 halves and put one of the halves into the baking tray. Add the filling, making sure every inch of the pastry is covered then place the remaining pastry on top to cover it. Press down the sides to make sure no filling escapes, I do this with a fork so that everything looks even.
- Make some slits on the top of the pastry. I cut mine into the individual squares but even some large lines are fine.
- Pour HALF of the melted butter over the pastry and put into the oven for 25-30 minutes IN TOTAL but keep checking on it as pastries with less filling cook quicker. After about 15 minutes or so, pour the remaining melted butter over the pastry. It is so important to turn the baking tray at this point to make sure all sides of the pastry are cooking evenly. You are looking for something which looks golden at the top and crispy on the corners.
- Let it cool then throw on the chili flakes.
See? Not as complicated as it looks! I think this is such a foolproof recipe because once you try it, you can adjust the seasonings to your own taste buds or add other fillings.
Stay safe everyone and until next time.